There is a G3 category aurora (visible to the south of England) predicted this evening, dropping to G2 (visible to the Midlands) by midnight. Unfortunately, with the very long evenings and constant light to the north, it may well drown out everything. Still, it might be worth a butcher’s tonight.
About Chris SuddickI'm a former chairman and secretary of the society and the current meetings secretary. I have only half the number of heads and two-thirds the number of arms of the part time galactic president, Zaphod Beeblebrox, but I do have twice the charm.
Author Archive | Chris Suddick
The Rosetta mission is nearing its climax now and the lander, Philae, is to detach from the main craft at 8.35UT on Wednesday 12th November. The lander will touch down on the surface of the comet about seven hours later. This can be viewed in realtime on the web. There are more details on the […]
Well goodbye Winter and hello Spring. From an astronomical viewpoint, today is the first day of Spring. At 4:57pm (16:57UTC) the sun will cross the celestial equator and, for the next 6 months, shine more on the northern hemisphere than on the southern hemisphere. This happens each year on March 20th or March 21st; it […]
There are some very favourable passes over the next few days which you might want to check out here: http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php. For those of you less familiar to this type of resource you will notice a box on the right hand side at the top that says ‘Your location’. Click ‘change location’ and drag the map until […]
Search our blog by catagory
Recent Blog Posts
- New post: Images of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus https://t.co/ZtagcXV1JW, Dec 9
- New post: Andromeda Galaxy – by Rodger King https://t.co/kvU2Hks8rf, Dec 8
- Happy New Year everyone. Our first meeting of 2018 is this Friday, 5th January at 8pm at Timperley Village Club, 268 Stockport Rd, WA15 7UT, Jan 1
- Happy solstice day. Here's an explanation of why the Winter Solstice is the shortest day from one of our members… https://t.co/55CsYin3iJ, Dec 21
- RT @rb357: This morning's close conjunction between Venus and Jupiter #Venus #Jupiter #Conjunction https://t.co/1G1E7LHDRz, Nov 13